July 25th, 2013
Proper mouth protection is recommended by Plaza Orthodontics when you participate in any sports activities. If you wear braces, this protection becomes essential. Injuries to your mouth can not only damage your teeth, but your braces could break and cut open your lip.
Full Facial Guards
Full facial guards are often used in football and offer protection to your mouth from most injuries. Even with full facial protection, you may benefit from additional mouth protection. While your face is protected from outside impact, you could still suffer from cuts or damage to your braces from internal impact.
Mouthguards referred to as boil-and-bites can be purchased at many retail stores. As the name implies, these guards are boiled in water to heat and soften the material. While the guard is still warm, you place it in your mouth and bite down gently. This causes the guard to form to the shape of your mouth. Unfortunately, these guards do not necessarily offer the best protection or fit.
Drs. Lihong Lin, James Kohl, and Jill Danaher can make custom mouthguards specifically for you. The custom fitting ensures you of better protection and a comfortable fit. Custom guards are also built in layers for durability. The American Dental Association recommends custom guards for orthodontic patients. Your mouthguard will be designed to provide proper protection for both your teeth and your braces.
No matter what type of sport you participate in, a mouthguard can protect your braces. Even an activity as seemingly harmless as table tennis can result in a contact injury. The Academy for Sports Dentistry states that a properly fitted mouthguard should not interfere with any athletic activity.
Plaza Orthodontics will provide you with properly-fitting mouth protection to ensure the safety of your braces and your teeth. We will be glad to answer any questions you have so you can continue the activities you enjoy with little concern. If you do suffer any injuries to your mouth or braces during sporting activities, please contact us immediately. The sooner we can care for your mouth, the better the results will be.
July 18th, 2013
There’s good news for teenagers at Plaza Orthodontics! We are proud to offer Invisalign Teen, a popular choice for straightening teeth without traditional wires and brackets. Much like Invisalign® for adults, Invisalign Teen is an alternative to metal braces and is undetectable when worn. Invisalign Teen aligners move teeth at a pace that is faster than traditional braces and are:
- Customized just for your teen
Invisalign aligners are really comfortable and very durable. They fit in with any of your extracurricular activities; whether you’re swimming a big race, out on the field throwing the ball around, or playing the drums in the school band, one thing you don’t have to worry about is your braces getting in the way!
Conveniently located in Wilmette, IL, our team at Plaza Orthodontics invites you to give us a call today!
July 11th, 2013
Have you recently moved, changed your phone number, or changed any of your information that we use to best serve you? If so, be sure to inform us of your changes!
Also, did you know that we have a vibrant social media presence? Have you had a chance to connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, or YouTube? We’re always looking to stay connected with our patients outside of the office, and our social media networks are an awesome way to see our photos and get some great updates and information!
So, when you have a chance, be sure to visit our website and then connect with us on our social media networks! We can’t wait to hear what you’ve been up to since your last visit with us!
July 4th, 2013
Happy Independence Day from Drs. Lihong Lin, James Kohl, and Jill Danaher and team! The Fourth of July celebrations in America may have changed a lot over the years, but there is no doubt that we Americans love to celebrate the anniversary of our country's independence! Today we're devoting the Plaza Orthodontics! blog to some fun facts about the Fourth!
- My, how we have grown! This year the United States Census Bureau estimates that our country has 313.9 million residents celebrating the Fourth of July this year, but back in 1776 there were just 2.5 million members of the country.
- Our country loves to show how proud that we are of our independence. Did you know that there are 31 United States places with the word “Liberty” in their names? The state of Iowa actually has four towns with the word Liberty in the name: Libertyville, New Liberty, North Liberty, and West Liberty.
- The United States loves Fourth of July food! It is expected that around 150 million hot dogs are eaten on the Fourth each year. One of the Fourth's most popular sides, potato salad, goes just perfectly with the hotdogs and hamburgers that are standard Fourth of July fare. Some people choose potato chips instead, but we wouldn't have such a plethora of potatoes if not for the prodigious production of the states of Idaho and Washington -- they provide about half of all the potatoes in the United States today!
- Americans love celebrating the Fourth outdoors: About 74 million Americans fire up their BBQ grill every Fourth of July.
- The Chinese contribution: Did you know that Americans have spent more than $211 million on fireworks that were imported from China?
No matter how your family chooses to celebrate the Fourth, stay safe, take precautions, and don't forget to brush after your fabulous Fourth feast!